Monday, June 25, 2012

Grand Cayman Roosters!


Day one – when I arrived at the airport, I went through customs, noticed my phone had no service on the island, and I was on the search for my cousin’s family (who I was meeting up with) I found them shortly after I arrived, thank goodness the airport was so small, we didn’t have any problems finding each other without a phone. My cousin’s daughter started telling me how she was chasing chickens in the parking lot of the airport while they were waiting for me. To tell you the truth I thought she was just making this up until my cousin told me there are chickens and roosters roaming around everywhere! I could not believe it, but sure enough when we pulled up to our condo and started to check out our surroundings they were roaming around everywhere!

I was wondering the same thing you probably are right now, where are they coming from and why? The first thing I did was look up ‘Grand Cayman Roosters’ on Google and there is no explanation about the roosters besides for pictures of the roosters of people just as surprised as me. The only reasoning I could find was they are not generally eaten on the island so they roam around in the wild. It was the craziest thing to see for me. Also, another surprise to me was at 5 o’clock every morning I was woken up by a crowing rooster that was right outside my window! That was something I definitely did not get used to. Yes, Grand Cayman has wild roosters/chickens roaming around! Do you know why??

No comments:

Post a Comment