Thursday, June 28, 2012

Conch

Conch, where is even start with this... I will start with a little story. Some background of myself, I used to be a huge picky eater, which I still can be at times, but I am open to trying new things now! Which means, I just started eating seafood not too long ago. Being from Chicago, there is not a huge variety of fish available on a daily basis. That being said when you start naming seafood like Grouper, Trigger, and Conch, I am thinking 'What the heck is that?' Well, I learned at lot about the sea life on this trip!

I tried Grouper and Trigger at other restaurants and they were amazing, it was a white fish. One thing I was seeing on multiple menus were Conch. It was as meals and appetizers, cooked in an abundance of ways. I never asked what it was until my cousin wanted to order it for an appetizer. All she told me was trust me you will like it, which it was good, but I want to share with you what they are so you don't wonder what you are eating like I did.
Conch is a vary popular food on the island. Conch is a sea snail that lives in the pretty shells we would love to collect on the ocean (See above). There are many different species of conch. All parts of the conch meat are edible, but the white meat is the only thing appetizing. You will find Conch cooked/served all kinds of ways. It can be eaten raw, in salads, (which I do not think I am brave enough to try) or cooked as in fritters, chowders, burgers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment